The untrained eye might not see much of a difference between blinds and shades. They both fit above a window and regulate how much light and privacy your house gets, but they are more different than you would expect. While there are distinct benefits to each, when all is said and done, you’ll likely leave this page with a clear decision about which is right for your home. Let’s start by taking a look at the differences between window shades and window blinds in Riverside, CA:
- What are we talking about here? We’ve already established that shades and blinds regulate light and privacy, but how they do this differs greatly. Blinds are made up of adjustable slats—typically made out of metal, wood or plastic—that can be moved to block incoming sunlight or prying eyes. Their adjustability makes them a popular choice; however, it also means that the pull cord is exposed, which can pose a danger to children and pets. On the other hand, shades are more opaque and rely on fabric or other materials to block the light and views of the inside of your home. This type of window covering is controlled by pulling down on the shades.
- So, it’s variety you want? One of the nice things about both shades and blinds is the variety of materials and/or fabrics you can find. Newer blinds feature all manner of wood and faux wood materials and they can be found in a wide variety of colors as well. The same is true of shades. Shades can be found in colors ranging from the most basic white to vibrant colors and fabrics.
- Keeping your cool: One area where shades are notably a better choice is when it comes to insulating your home. Shades come in a variety of styles, including multi-cell models that trap hot or cold air at the window, keeping it from changing the temperature of your home. Blinds, meanwhile, do not do much to regulate heat or cold. Because of their design, some blinds do not completely seal out light. This means hot and cold air can pass through them more easily.
- Clean up your act: Where blinds fall short in keeping out the elements, they excel in durability and cleaning. Unlike shades, which are vulnerable to dust getting trapped in the fabric and harder to clean, blinds can be easily wiped down or dusted without much fuss.
- Installing your updates: Whichever choice fits your needs, you will likely find there are comparable options in terms of price, installation and value. Modern shades and blinds are often affordable, and anyone with a basic knowledge of home care should be able to install them quickly and effectively.
Whether you prefer using window blinds or window shades in Riverside, CA, Sundown Window Tinting has what you are looking for! Our residential window covering options include privacy wooden blinds and protection vertical blinds, and we offer installation services as well. Contact us today to learn more or to schedule an on-site consultation!